How To Create A Stylish Dining Nook With A Settee
A settee is the perfect seating to create a dining nook that has both style and comfort. You'll love how it embraces you when dining--whether it's just breakfast or that special dinner. It expands the seating space, a particular concern for apartment dwellers.
- Add a round table and stackable chairs.
- Class it up or down but for the transitional style, make it a classic traditional or contemporary piece in which it plays the staring role.
- Consider how much space you have, of course.
- Don't be deterred if you have a really small space, there are a multitude of settee sizes from which to choose. And you'll see below, you can even install a bench with a backrest to create a settee-like seating.
- One critical element to consider is the height of the seating. Chair seat heights are generally 18" to 19." So when you sit down on a settee with a cushion (in which you will sink), it's important to note that height. Otherwise, you may be shoveling your food into your mouth with your lips close to the table edge!
And from my own decor, here is an image of my Louis Ghosts in a previous home. I had chosen a chaise lounge to escape the classic four chairs and a table setting. Although the seating height is about 19," when one sits on the chaise lounge, the seating sinks to level one's mouth being nearly at the table top level! That was a bummer for I so dearly love my chaise lounge. A better option would have been a settee in which normally the required seating height is taken into account in the its construction. Still, if you are interested in a chase lounge in your dining area, see my very popular post on The Case For A Chaise Lounge.
I absolutely adore the soft colors in the dining space below. More than likely it is in a home. However, it can definitely serve as a blue print for an apartment space. Just scale down the pieces, such as substituting a smaller table.
For you do-it-your-selfers, you can build a back for a bench and create a type of settee. Even a girl can do it. Check out Creativity Happens by Shana on You Tube. It's for a headboard but the principle would be similar for a bench with a tufted bench back. Or if you're like me, just call a carpenter!
Settees come in a wide range of styles from the transitional to traditional to modern. Here are just a few of the very common ones found in the transitional decor style:
1. FRENCH COUNTRY JUTE LINEN BANQUETTE FOR DINING, FROM KATHY KUO:
2. FRENCH LINEN SETTEE, KATHY KUO
3. KERRIGAN BEIGE LINEN TRADITIONAL SETTEE ON HOUZZ
4. TRUMBULL GRAY LINEN MODERN-TRANSITIONAL SETTEE ON HOUZZ
The settee has always been enjoyed as a fine piece of furniture to own with a history that dates back to the 17th Century. It's style and use continue to change with the keeping of home design. Learn more about it at One Kings Lane, The History Of Settees.
Apartments really are ideal for a settee where you can create a cozy dining space, work on your laptop, have a lovely tête-à-tête with a friend or just a place to daydream.
This is an updated post that originally published in December 2014.