Welcome home. It's the end of the day, possibly even a long commute, you just walked into your apartment and you're ready to 'get real.' That is, relax. Well, it's summer so why not start with a watermelon martini.
1-2/3 oz/5cl Vodka
quarter slice watermelon
dash of fresh lemon juice
Putting it together:
- Put the melon in the bottom of a shaker (or any deep container).
- Muddle to release the flavor and color. (If you don't have a muddler tool, use any soft flat, preferably wood, tool in your kitchen. I used a glass pitcher and wood rolling pin!)
- Add ice cubes and vodka. (I had poured the muddled juice into a jar filled with ice. Add the vodka and dash of fresh lemon juice.)
- After giving the mixture a good few shakes (not stirred:)), I poured the watermelon martini into a martini glass.
- Add a lemon strip for garnish. (You can use a lemon zester for the garnish, such as this one from OXO.)
This is a simple recipe from Complete Home Bartender's Guide by Salvatore Calabrese, page 127. As you can see this is a very simple recipe for watermelon martini. The hardest part is muddling but it's a good way to work off any stress you may be feeling!
When purchasing vodka and deciding on which volume, the sales associate described it this way: 40% is for talking; 80% is for dancing; and 100% is for well ... just jumping!
Approximate nutritional value FOR ONE SERVING based on 80% proof vodka: