Several years ago, I lived in Mount Dora. Every year, this tiny town in Central Florida hosts a street art show that attracts 300,000 plus people. Artists and art seekers come from all over the U.S., even from places in Europe. It was at that art festival that I saw my first modern quilt wall hanging. I remember standing in front of the quilt awe struck by intricate design and exquisite needlework. This wasn't my grandma's quilt of patchwork, I thought! Before you dismiss the idea of a quilt hanging on your wall, let me introduce you to a few of them:
The color-rich quilt below is called London Tube, a Zen Chic pattern and is available for quilters. Contact Bridgette Heitland for more information. .
Here is a description of this extraordinary piece of fabric art :
The above quilt image was found on Pinterest. However, it was created by Victoria Gertenbach which she calls "Barn Door," a modern improvised Art Quilt. Read her full story on her blog The Silly Boo Dilly.
The lovely modern quilt wall hanging above is called City Grid III, found in a Carnegie Center exhibit. The work is by Valarie Goodwin of Tallahassee, Florida.
This next example of a modern quilt wall hanging is by Marianne from the blog The Quilting Edge. She assigns most of her work to beds and sofas. But I would protest and say they deserve to be hung on a wall where her beautiful art work can be best appreciated.
A few notes on quilts as wall hangings:
- Fabric will of course fade or wear thin when exposed to the UV rays of the sun over a period of time. You'll need to take this into account when selecting the best place in your home or apartment.
- If you have low or very little lighting in your home, a color-rich modern quilt wall hanging will give you the greatest impact and drama.
- Modern quilt wall hangings will cozy up a room. In a very large room, it will really bring the furnishings and adjoining walls together in a more cohesive way.
- For a contemporary appeal, such as the first photo, abstract designs are more complementary.
- Of course, for a cottage or beach style, go for representational designs, such as landscapes.
- There's a great tutorial on How To hang A Quilt at Amy A La Mode blog.
If you're looking to add interest, drama and something out of the ordinary, then do take a look at modern quilt wall hangings. For more ideas on adding interest and drama to your walls, read my post on Why Are You Looking At Boring White Walls!