Guests are coming to stay overnight, maybe several nights, for this holiday season. As you create lots of happy memories during their visit, add something a little extra special they can take away for the trip home and always.
Add a surprise in the guest bedroom
- Set a bouquet of flowers, large or small, on the bed stand. Be sure to place their name on a card in front of the bouquet letting them the bouquet is theirs.
- Add a word or monogram pillow personal to your guest. Make it the accent throw pillow right on the bed.
- Up the hotel style mint on the pillow with a box of peppermint bark. It's really popular this time of year. I strongly recommend the delicious thin layered William-Sonoma Original Pepperminy Bark. It's stupendous!
Give something for their home but discovered in yours
- A special Christmas CD or some other CD you both love together.
- Coffee table book. These can be terribly expensive. However, you can often find them on sale in places such as Amazon.com; Borders; Books-A-Million. Most important here is to find one that would be of special interest to your guest. Place it on your coffee table with a ribbon and a gift tag. Let them find it as a surprise!
Yes . . . there is a coffee table book titled If..., Volume 1 Questions For The Game Of Life, particularly fun for those who have every asked the question "if only." You can find it on Amazon.com from it's list of best coffee table books. I had searched on "best" but you may also want to check out "most popular coffee table books." I'm not more partial to Amazon versus Borders or BAM. I love 'em all, love browsing the shelves, picking a book and having a coffee while I scan the book and decide if I want to purchase it. But for online shopping, I found Amazon had the most extensive list.
Give A Delight From The Kitchen
- Love to bake or make your own personal sweet bottle of relishes, jams and marmalade? Be sure to have one to share and one to give to your guest for their return trip home.
- Serve your guest's favorite coffee or tea (or try a new one) during their visit and then give them a gift of that same beverage to take away.
- Put together a collection of recipes in a lovely little book from meals you will serve. Make it a gift, ribbons and all.
- Send them on their way with their small favorite kitchen gadget, one or more in a collection. Sur La Table, a favorite place of mine, has lots of fun stocking stuffers, such as the Moose Ugly Sweater bottle cover. Get One for yourself and one for your guest.
Extend happy memories of places you visited During Their Stay
- Save one of your best group photos, frame it lovely and present it to them as they go out the door or some other appropriate time. Note your frame doesn't have to be brand new, just beautiful. How about a frame from a consignment or thrift shop, beautifully painted and ready for that special photo.
- Create an itinerary of the places you will visit all nicely printed and on the cover of a fun photo album. (Staples, Office Depot, FedEx Office or even a print shop are great places for getting a good print.)
Better yet, for your jet setting visitor, give a gift card from Meshu. What is it? A site where you create an itinerary that corresponds to a geometric form that is then made into jewelry: a pair of earrings, necklace pendant, a ring, even cuff links.